Saturday 29 December 2012

craftivism

I've been aware of the term craftivism for a little while now, but it was only just before Christmas that I started to investigate it properly. Basically it is a gentle form of activism, focused on craft, creativity, community and contemplation in order to take action and raise awareness.

The UK-based Craftivist Collective seemed like a great way to get involved, and I decided to take part in their #imapiece project: a community-created giant jigsaw to support Save the Children's Race Against Hunger Campaign.

This is my first puzzle piece and craftivism participation. I wanted to use a strong slogan - 'injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere' - depicted in a soft, pretty way, hence the blue and pink and the heart motif. Now that it's finished I slightly regret writing so small (it was my first attempt at split stitch and I was clueless!) and not using a bolder pink. But this is one occasion where it really is the thought that counts.

For more information and to take part, see the Craftivist Collective website.

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...